Go to top
24-hour Advice Line: 0300 30 32 442

Employment Support

Advice regarding Terms & Conditions of service

  • Employment contract
  • Professional issues

Advice and representation in grievance procedures

Involving a dispute about terms and conditions of employment including remuneration
Involving a complaint of bullying, harassment or discrimination.

Representation for trainees in ARCP appeals and Performers List issues

Advice and representation in the employer disciplinary process, including performance and capability processes

Including the equivalent process of providers of contract for the provision of services (such as CCGs, private hospitals, NHS Hospital Trusts etc). This includes defence in a disciplinary process resulting from complaints from patients, employees or colleagues.

Representation in member’s legal action arising out of employment

Including where a member is contracted to provide professional service.

Frequently asked questions

Do I need indemnity insurance?

You must make sure that you have adequate and appropriate insurance or indemnity arrangements in place, covering the full scope of your medical practice in the UK.

If you work for an NHS Trust or Board, indemnity is provided through the Clinical Negligence Scheme for Trusts (CNST) in England.

If you carry out any private or independent practice, you must arrange adequate and appropriate insurance or indemnity (even if this work takes place on NHS or HSC body premises). This applies even if the work is in addition to work you do for an NHS or HSC body. If you are treating NHS patients privately, you must check with your NHS or HSC body employer to confirm that indemnity is in place.

For GPs working in England and Wales, this is included in your normal NHS contracts of employment. For Locum GPs in Wales, you must be registered on the All Wales Locum Register (AWLR). CNSGP scheme is valid only for GPs in England and Wales. For Scotland, you must ensure you are covered under CNORIS.

You will still need to maintain membership with a medical defence body (MDO) and trade union to cover services such as patient complaints, regulatory (GMC) and disciplinary proceedings, employment and contractual disputes.

For more information on the Clinical Negligence Scheme for NHS Trusts and General Practice, refer to the latest GMC guidelines here.

Get in touch

If you require a quote or have a query, please submit your request using this form.

For indicative rates and to join online, see: mdsuk.org/membership-types/